Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Managing "Single with No Kids" Rage...

Yesterday in the NY Metro News paper, there was the most ridiculous, scratch your head and wonder why opinion piece! It was called "Managing Mommy Rage" written by Denise Albert, and the whole thing was about how she should be treated special just because she has children. Here is the WEZ Candy rebuttal (you can read her original article after the jump):

Managing "Single with No Kids" Rage:
Please stop kicking me. Please stop screaming. Can you teach your kid how to behave, please?

Yes, I am single in NYC and don't have children, and yes, you do. While I don't think that means we can't live in the same city, some things have to change.

If you are in a restaurant or public place that is quiet and peaceful, why can't you make your kid stop screaming? When people are looking at you with "you're ruining my evening" in their eyes, why can't you take a hint? Just because your kid is having a bad night doesn't mean that everyone else has to as well. Why should we all suffer for your lack of parenting skills?

When I am sitting at the movies and your child is kicking my seat, please tell them to stop before I have to turn around and tell them myself. Because I will tell them. And if your kid can't see because I'm sitting in front of them, there's this little thing called a booster seat. The movie theater has them to borrow for free. And why is your kid in a rated R movie anyway? They're probably screaming because they don't like the movie.

Does your stroller really have to be that wide? I would happily move out of the way on the sidewalk if there was any sidewalk left to move to. If you really need people to give up their seats on the subway, how about you start by following the rules which clearly state that strollers should be folded before you enter a train.

When I am flying, I am not entertainment for your child. Surely you notice when your kid is standing in their seat turned around staring at me. Please make them stop. It's not that I don't think they are cute, it's just that I want to relax.

I will certainly go out of my way to help if I see you have your hands full, but don't feel that you are entitled to that. Having kids doesn't make you special.

Although these complaints may seem rude to some people, parents are letting their children run wild and it has to stop. Maybe if "Mommies with Rage" stopped worrying about people helping open doors and started worrying about their children this city would be a nicer place to live.

Managing Mommy Rage by Denise Albert:
(read article at original source HERE)

Move out of my way. Help me, please. Hold a door. Offer my kid your seat on the bus. Walk faster. Why so slow?

Out of my way, I’m a mom!

Yes, I have mommy rage. I don’t hide my feelings, and if you make me angry you will know it.

I’ve always been honest, vocal and very straightforward. But since becoming a mom all of those qualities have escalated to a heightened state.

If you see me trying to navigate a double stroller, why can’t you move out of my way? When my behind is scrunched up to the door, one foot behind me, one arm on a stroller handle, and another holding my other kid, would it kill you to just open the door and hold it? I mean, you are standing right there. What happened to common courtesy?

And if I get to a movie early to get a good seat, and you come strolling in as the previews are rolling, and you sit down, all 6 feet of you, in front of my kid, would you mind moving before I have to angrily ask you to?

If you work in a store, hurry up. I don’t always have time for small talk … especially when I’m with my kids. And I certainly don’t have time to wait while you are on your e-mail. I won’t be shy about letting you know.

I don’t want your animals touching or licking us, either. I don’t care if they are hypo-allergenic — someone did once try to calm me down with that rebuttal.

To some, this may seem aggressive or forceful but the bottom line is I know what I want, what I like, and how to get it done. So please, pay attention, be courteous, do your job correctly, and occasionally, lend a hand. Then us mommies with rage can use our useless anger for the good of others, too! Oh — and curb ramps are for things with wheels, so step aside.

-Denise Albert for Metro News
blog comments powered by Disqus