Monday, May 24, 2010

What is the Island? The LOST series finale...


LOST ended last night in an emotionally draining 2 and 1/2 hour episode that still has me scratching my head while drying my tears. What happened? What is the island? Where is Walt?

And more than those simple questions, what did I want to see? Did the show need to answer all questions definitively, and if they did, would it still have the same impact? Last night, as I dreamed of LOST, and this morning as I woke up thinking about it, I realized a few things:

1) LOST will be in our collective consciousness for years to come.

2) The creators let the show get too big to control and they had no way to answer everything and make everyone happy, so they chose to not really answer anything (which made a lot of people not happy).

3) The show forced a generation of people too familiar with boring plots and say-nothing movies to think. To explore what an artist is trying to say about life, love, and forgiveness. About fate, destiny, and choice. Forcing people to think, decide, and discuss (aka: argue, scream, and fight) about the show was the greatest thing about it.  

After last night I also realized that:

4) Jimmy Kimmel sucks. Three alternate endings? That wasn't funny.

In the coming days I will continue thinking about the series and the final episode. And I will continue to ask questions:
Was the show all about Jack?
At what point did the Island end up under water?
How long will Michael be forced to roam the Island whispering to people?
If Michael can't be redeemed for killing Libby and Ana Lucia, how come Ben is let off the hook?
Was Walt supposed to be the next Jacob?
How come babies can't be born on the island?
Are Nicky and Paolo also whispering on the island?

And the main question I'll be asking is what is more important? The question or the answer?

WEZ SEZ: LOST is like a work of art. You can love it, or hate it, but you will never understand it fully... only what it means to you.
blog comments powered by Disqus